My Bodacious Leader posed some questions to her Bodacious-Wanna-Be’s this week so the focus today is all about summer.
Janey wants to know….
What do you do to get ready for summer? What says summer to you – music, food, clothes, activities, you name it…
Living in West Michigan where the Days of Summer are definitely numbered you will find most of the population here living each summery moment to its fullest. Moreover, with stats like this you can see why:
Almost half of Michigan is comprised of water and, except for Alaska, Michigan has more shoreline than any other state, fronting four of the Great Lakes: Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, and Lake Erie. With 3,177 miles of Great Lakes shoreline it is easy to see why Michigan boasts a thriving recreational industry, and leads the nation with approximately one million registered pleasure boats.
However, what is a girl to do when she is not counted in the one million registered boaters?
Why, Gentle Reader, there is plenty for the non-boating, summer loving Michigan Resident and let me just share some of the treasures that are Summer in Michigan!
1. Leisurely walks along any of the 3,177 miles of beautiful shoreline.
2. Sitting on any of hundreds of beaches soaking up the sun and whiling an afternoon away reading from one’s Summer Reading List
3. Barbecuing…although gas grills have made grilling a year round method of cooking, I love summer grilling!
4. Sock Moratorium! Even though I am a knitter, and I enjoy knitting socks, my feet are oh so happy to spend some months bare. In addition, there are oh so many sandals to wear and so few days in which to wear them!
5. Gardening… need I say more?
6. The Farmers Market!
which leads me to….
7. Eating fresh produce. The tastes of summer are many and varied, but there is nothing like fresh produce to capture the essence of summer.
8. Fiber Festivals. Oh yeah!
9. Wearing all things linen… it shouts summer!
10. And, finally – the music of summer… I have left a montage for your listening pleasure in my sidebar – click and enjoy… and here is hoping that summer will be warmly welcomed in your corner of the world!